2017 Also Was a Busy Year…
At OMSLab we continued to provide information technology development and application support to several projects managed through the One Water Solutions Institute (OWSI) in the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering.
Among several projects, during the year we completed the second phase of natural resource model and data service developed supporting the USDA-NRCS Conservation Delivery Streamlining Initiative, deploying and supporting the following data stores and web service layers:
- Conservation Resources Database (CRdb) – model domain data in the following schemas:
- Land Management Operations Database (CR_LMOD): 25,000 crop rotations across 75 crop management zones (CMZs), 120 crops, and 550 farming operations
- Conservation Resources PRISM Databse (CR_PRISM): 4K daily tmin, tmax, precip, humidity values for CONUS; also monthly normals
- csip-soils: data services fetching parameters from the NRCS Soil Data Mart
- csip-climate: data services fetching parameters from CRdb.climate and CR_PRISM
- csip-lmod: services fetching managements, crops, operations, and other data from CR_LMOD supporting a common crop rotation builder and providing inputs to model/computational services
- csip-r2: model services of the Revised Universal Soil Loss Equation (RUSLE2), simulating sheet/rill erosion
- csip-weps: model services of the Wind Erosion Prediction System (WEPS); simulating wind erosion, PM10 particulates, and fuel use
- csip-wepp: model services of the Water Erosion Prediction Project (WEPP); simulating water erosion; replacement for RUSLE2
- csip-erosion: model and data services supporting the Field to Market Fieldprint Calculator and EPA Low Erosivity Waiver (LEW) application
- csip-comet: data services for inputs to the (in progress) online COMET API for greenhouse gas and carbon sequestration assessment; services for computing carbon sequestration through application of conservation practices
- csip-gras: data and computational services for forage inventory sites, forage production; animal demand, forage animal balance, quick stocking rate, rangeland health, and pasture condition
- csip-nmpt: data and services for computing nutrient balances and manure field application rates for confined animal feeding operations (CAFOs)
- csip-svap: data and computational services for the Stream Visual Assessment Protocol (SVAP)
- csip-wqm: data and services for computing soil leaching and runoff loss potentials for nutrients and pesticides, pesticide loss potentials, soil-pesticide interaction loss potentials, pesticide hazard ratings, mitigation threshold scores, and mitigation techniques and practices scores.
During 2018 we will complete the third phase of this project.
During 2017 we also continued to support the suite of software tools available here from OWSI. In future news items we will feature other projects initiated this past year.